Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Eggplant Caprese Sandwiches—Better Than Burgers!

We got a couple of eggplants two weeks ago, and I’m hoping there will be more to come, because eggplant is one of my favorite foods. It’s also one of the most versatile things we get at the CSA. If you’re a vegetarian, you don’t need any tofu when eggplant is in season, and if you aren’t a vegetarian, you can use eggplant in place of ground or cubed beef in a lot of recipes.

You can make (and I do) eggplant chili, eggplant tacos, eggplant lasagna, eggplant everything, but I think my favorite is to take thick grilled slices of eggplant and make a better burger. The one I’ve concocted this summer is a particular winner. I’m calling it an Eggplant Caprese Sandwich, because you take that grilled eggplant (slice, salt, and let stand about 15 minutes, then drizzle both sides with a little olive oil and grill) and top it with fresh mozzarella slices (put it back on the grill to melt the cheese just a little). Place that on a toasted bun or ciabatta bread, and top with chopped red onions and cherry tomatoes, drizzled with a little balsamic vinegar. Top with chopped fresh basil and the top of the bun and voila, an amazing ersatz burger!

If you like eggplant, too, don’t miss all the other eggplant recipes we’ve posted over the seasons on this blog. Just type Eggplant in the Search box and you’ll find lots of good ideas, but I think the Eggplant Caprese Sandwich might just be the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment