Sunday, September 1, 2013

Improvise and Compensate!

I was involved with a few local theatre troupes in my youth, and we always had rather laughable budgets to put on shows, so our motto was always “Improvise and Compensate.” It’s stuck with me all these years; there are always ways to make do with what you have or substitute something you can get for something that just isn’t attainable.

Well, over the weekend I realized that can apply to cooking, too. I dearly love gazpacho, a cold soup, usually made with tomatoes (but I also have a recipe for a delicious cucumber version). The standard recipe calls for peppers and celery and cucumbers along with the tomatoes, and I’ve posted the recipe in the past

But this season, when I had enough tomatoes, I didn’t have any cucumbers, and I had more hot peppers than green peppers, and no celery at all. Still, I had tomatoes that needed to be used quickly, so I decided to try a little improvising, compensating for what I lacked.

What I wound up with was a slightly different but very tasty version of the traditional tomato gazpacho. Since I used mostly things that were in the share last week and this week, I thought I’d post my improvised version of this fresh vegetable favorite.

Improvise and Compensate Gazpacho
6-7 stalks bok choi (just the stalks, not the green part)
2 cups cubed watermelon, seeded
8 small to medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
2 green peppers, seeded and chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
2 red onions, peeled and chopped
½ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper

Put all the chopped up vegetables in a food processor (in batches if necessary), and puree until there are no chunks left. Add the oils, vinegar, salt, and pepper and mix well. Chill and serve cold with croutons, onions, parsley, or chopped cucumbers as a garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment