Sunday, July 31, 2011

Apples & Corn

The harvest on Saturday included apples and corn, both welcome. However, they weren't grown at the Enright CSA. We don't have any apple trees yet (but give us time); they were from an orchard in Bridgetown. And corn requires a lot of space, so maybe when we get some more growing space we can grown our own. But it's nice that we are able to support other local farms by buying some produce to add to the shares a few times a year.

I had some of the corn in a bean dip at a party at fellow CSA member Tina Michel's house on Saturday night, and I will admit to picking up the last kernels on my plate with my fingers when my tortilla chips were gone, it was so tasty. I noticed that another young CSA member enjoyed her corn straight from the cob. (Thanks for sharing that photo, Michael Frazier!) I had an apple for breakfast this morning, and it was great, too, crisp and sharply sweet.

It was altogether a beautiful share this week, with the first of the peppers (the purple peppers are almost too pretty to eat--almost), a tomato, and even an eggplant on the share table. I think it's been our most colorful share so far, and it made a feast for the eyes, set out for pickup (good job, team) even before we all took it home to cook up a few feasts for the table.



No comments:

Post a Comment