Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Carrot (Or, If You Prefer, Beet) Soup

The Enright CSA blog always appreciates submissions from members or anyone else with something to say or a recipe to share. Today we have a guest blog from Amy Hotchkiss Kerby, with a recipe that sounds really delicious:

I just made the most wonderful carrot soup (never had it in my life, but boy I will now) and I thought I would share. I just made this recipe up, and when I looked at recipes for carrot soup online later, I found that some call for curry powder. You can add that if you like it. I do not. So I did not.

CARROT SOUP

2 tsps. olive oil
½ chopped or grated Vidalia onion
½ tsp. garlic, chopped or grated
¼ tsp. ground coriander
¼ tsp. ground cumin (optional)
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 ½ cups Campbell’s low sodium chicken broth
1 ½ cups carrots, raw
1 tsp plain, fat-free Greek yogurt
nutmeg, grated on top to taste

Put the olive oil in a pan and heat. Throw in the onion and the garlic. Cook that for a bit. Add the spices (and this is an estimate, so put in what you think you will like.) Cook for 2 minutes. Put in the broth (or water and a bouillon) and the carrots. Cover and cook on high for about 8-10 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Take everything in the pan and whip it in the food processor. I added the teaspoon of Greek yogurt at this time. Pour or spoon the soup into bowls and garnish with a little Greek yogurt. Grate a little nutmeg on top. Eat.

I was very pleasantly surprised. It was fabulous and according to a recipe calculator on the web, it is only about 115 calories per serving. This made 2 servings.

The next day, I wanted more, but I was out of carrots. So I substituted golden beets, and that’s delicious, too!

Enjoy.
Amy Hotchkiss Kerby

No comments:

Post a Comment