Sunday, October 23, 2011

Leeks and Potatoes in the Soup Pot

Last week we got leeks and potatoes in our shares, so I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one thinking about soup. I suspect everybody has a good potato soup recipe, hot or cold (the Good Housekeeping cookbook from the 1950s has my favorite vichyssoise recipe). In fact, I think I have three kinds of soup in my refrigerator right now--leek soup, gazpacho, and cream of tomato and dill soup. I thought I'd post a nice simple recipe for a cold soup that uses leeks and potatoes.

Leek Soup

4 leeks (white part mostly) washed and sliced thin
2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
1 large onion, sliced thin
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 oz. spinach or other greens
2 Tbsps. butter
3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash white pepper

1/2 cup heavy cream or sour cream
chopped chives or parsley

Saute the leeks, potatoes, onions, garlic, and spinach or greens in a large saucepan for about 20 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until soft but not brown. Stir in the chicken or vegetable stock and milk; bring the mixture to the boiling point, then remove from heat. Cool a little, season with salt and pepper, and puree in a food processor. Chill several hours, then stir in heavy cream or sour cream before serving, cold, with chopped chives or parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment