Saturday, July 24, 2010

Pictures from around the greenhouse!




In addition to our wonderful veggies, there are some beautiful flowers growing around the greenhouse. Beautifying Price Hill one flower at a time!!


What wonderful things are you making with your tomatoes? Don't forget that tomatoes are acidic, which means you can safely can them using a pot of boiling water as opposed to a pressure canner!


With a variety of peppers on the way, I know I am excited about making salsas. What about you? What's your favorite use of peppers?


I'm not a huge fan of eggplant, but I wanted to use all the ones we have been getting through the CSA. I did some reading online and created the following recipe for Eggplant Burgers:

2 large eggplant
1 onion
1 green pepper
2 carrots
other various fresh veggies that you have on hand
1/2 a cup of egg-replacement or 2 eggs
bread crumbs, corn meal, or a combination of the two

Start by cooking the eggplant. I roasted it at 350, but you can cut it into squares and boil or steam it. You can cook it any way that you would like, the important thing is that it is cooked all the way through and soft.
Take the insides of the eggplant (the cubes if you cooked it that way or, if you roasted it, scoop the cooked "meat" out of the skin) and throw them in your food processor and blend until smooth. Add your fresh veggies and pulse a few times until your veggies are chopped small and mixed well with the eggplant. Toss the eggplant veggie mixture in a bowl and mix in the eggs/egg replacement and stir until well-mixed. Add your bread crumbs until you reach the consistency that you desire. Shape the mixture into patties and pan fry or bake! Enjoy!

These burgers freeze very well!

1 comment:

  1. I realized that my recipe there doesn't include any seasonings! I used garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin. Probably some other things that I'm forgetting, too!

    ReplyDelete