Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Strawberries and Greens Make Good Eating

It’s been awhile since there has been an Enright CSA blog posting; sorry about that! I have been out of town, and so have not been cooking the local produce around here. (Though I did enjoy the local food in Maine, where lobsters and blueberries were abundantly available.) But I’m back now, and I found a bag of assorted greens and some strawberries waiting for me from last Saturday’s share.

Spring always provides plenty of greens, both for salads and for cooking, and the nice thing about greens is you scarcely need anything like a recipe. Last night I cleaned some of that tender leaf lettuce, sliced some strawberries, and added goat cheese and sliced almonds for a really tasty salad. I also fried up a couple of slices of bacon, set them aside and poured off most of the grease, then sautéed those curly garlic tops (chopped up). I added washed and chopped chard and broccoli (wash the produce but don’t dry it, and that’s enough water to slightly steam the greens as you sauté them). I put a lid on the pan and cooked the whole thing up for about 10 minutes over medium heat, then added a 1/4 cup of pine nuts and the crumbled bacon. Served with grilled salmon and sweet potatoes, it was a veritable Monday night feast.

I hope you are enjoying your greens, too—and let us know if you have a way of preparing them that you’d like to share. They are so versatile; I add them to soups and quiches and casseroles as well as cook them southern style and now African style, too. I did find a recipe for bok choi that I may try with what I still have from this latest share, and if so, I’ll post that later this week.

For now, enjoy the easy preparation of spring greens. In fact, I may make another strawberry and goat cheese salad for lunch today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment