Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Happy Autumnal Equinox!

Has anybody else noticed that it is seriously harvest time around here? The photograph shows my kitchen table last Sunday. I didn’t know where to start—making pesto with the basil and parsley, gazpacho with the tomatoes and cucumbers (more on that in another post), snapping and blanching beans, braising squash, and finding more exciting things to do with zucchini. (I think we need another post for that topic too . . . I got an e-mail this morning from another CSA member asking if there were any zucchinis to spare at the greenhouse. Oh, only a bin or two!)

I seriously overextended myself on Sunday, though; there were pots boiling and dishes piling up in the sink; the food processor was whirring and at least three cutting boards were in use at any given moment. I didn’t finish everything, but I processed what was left by the next evening, so now I have fresh and frozen pesto, and plenty of green beans to get through the winter. I feel like a good little ant, not a profligate grasshopper, as summer turns to fall. I don’t see any leaves turning yet, but I guess it’s just a matter of time.

And that means more cold-weather crops, but I am hoping that there’s enough warmth left in the Indian summer to come that we’ll still be seeing plenty of tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, squash, and of course basil. At least I hope so . . . except maybe for the basil. Happy Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment