Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Those HOT peppers!

Angie Utley found the following information and shared it with the group:


Good day all!  Wanted to share that I do believe that I have successfully identified those little yellow hot peppers as Cayenne peppers.  Here's what the website says...




Long, slender pods. Varieties range from 4 inches to 10 inches, mature color can be either red or yellow.

Heat Range

30,000-50,000 Scoville Heat Units

Typical uses

Dried, and powdered, or crushed into flakes. Many Louisiana hot sauces use cayennes. 

To understand the Scoville Heat Unit Scale follow this link.  Cayennes are an 8 on a scale of 0-10+, with 10+ being the hottest.

So I think I'm gonna try to make my dear hot sauce lovin' husband some sauce with what I brought home this weekend.  Thanks for sharing your portion of peppers with me, Jen!  Instead of stringing them, I'm making hot sauce!  Rest assured that I have vinyl gloves to protect myself with and I will not make this sauce until after my littlest one are in bed tonight.  Better safe than sorry!


How did making hot sauce go, Angie?


I'm with you on that, so I'm going to try to make some tonight, using the proportions in this recipe.



3 comments:

  1. I'll be honest...I ran out of steam this weekend and didn't get it done! Perhaps I'll give it a go yet tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psst...the hot sauce in the canner and boy! did those peppers smell "HOT" while I simmered them down just a bit before pureeing. YIKES! Three shares (from last weekend) made four 1/2-pint jars of sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a couple of weeks worth of hot peppers myself and I made one pint jar. I plan to let it sit for quite awhile before actually using it! It sounds like, from what I read, leaving it sit really helps develop the flavor! :)

    ReplyDelete